Our client is a prestigious government entity based in Riyadh is looking for Art Museum Collections Specialist.
Primary purpose of the role
The Art Museum Collections Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day oversight and preservation of the thousands of objects of the museum collection. Responsibilities include accessioning, deaccessioning, processing incoming/outgoing loans, maintaining collections data systems, exhibition support, preventative conservation care, records management, and emergency response and recovery. The Art Museum Collections Specialist supervises the work of consultants, student workers and a part-time volunteer, and reports to the Museum Director.
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Maintains records of accession, condition, and location of objects in museum collection, and oversees movement, packing, and shipping of objects.
- Assigns accession and catalog numbers to all objects in collection, according to established registration system.
- Composes concise description of objects for collection management database.
- Periodically completes a physical inventory and photographic documentation of the collections and consolidates and adds data to the existing database.
- Recommends changes in recordkeeping procedures for collection objects.
- Prepares reports for curatorial and administrative staff.
- Periodically reviews and evaluates registration and catalog system to maintain applicability
- Conducts object research.
- Uses information technology to make collections accessible to a wide audience.
- Produces exhibition labels, book covers and text panels for both in-house and traveling exhibitions. Collections Care
- Ensure that objects are properly cared for; manage storage, conservation and recording keeping associated with objects.
- Train appropriate museum staff/student workers on the proper handling, packing and conditioning of artwork.
- Work with Director to manage all aspects of acquisitions including coordinating with vendors, facilitating shipping, and cataloguing collection materials, preparing Deed of Gift and other relevant forms.
- Oversees handling, packing, movement, and inspection of all objects entering or leaving establishment, including traveling exhibits.
- facilitates acquisitions and deaccessions including disposing of objects and completes all related paperwork
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short and long-range goals
- Ability to use independent judgment to manage and impart information
- Competent in current registration practices and cataloging standards
- Familiarity with conservation and preservation techniques and procedures for museum collections
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Suite, Adobe Photoshop, EmbARK collection database system) and ability to troubleshoot
- Detail oriented
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills
- Familiarity with power tools
- 4+ years of relevant experience