The role assists the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking manage legal risk in all the geographies where the FAB Group operates in relation to payments activities in accordance with FAB Group legal policies and procedures. The role holder should be able to work autonomously, but should seek the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking's input on unusual situations, complex matters, and issues which may pose significant legal, financial and/or reputational risk to the FAB Group.
- Provides legal advice and support to the business while keeping in mind the FAB Group's strategic and business objectives.
- Provides direction and guidance to facilitate the FAB Group's compliance with all applicable international and domestic laws, rules and regulations.
- Collaborates with the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking to establish, disseminate and implement the FAB Group's legal policies.
- Completes legal tasks and projects in a timely manner and responds to legal queries assigned by the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking.
- Supports FAB's subsidiaries and international branches by providing general legal oversight on legal risks associated with payments products and services.
Legal Documentation and Review
- Supervises and is responsible for the adequate management of litigation or disputes between the business and its customers in the UAE and abroad.
- Represents FAB and its subsidiaries before the notary public, court experts, courts, and the police to resolve matters in the best interest of the FAB Group.
- Reports relevant litigation matters to the Group General Counsel and Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking and provides updates to the relevant stakeholders.
Knowledge of External Environment
- Drafts, reviews and negotiates contracts and other legal documents in order to maximise the FAB Group's legal protections whilst simultaneously minimising legal risks.
- Produces and regularly updates standardised legal agreements, contracts and standard terms and conditions for the FAB Group in compliance with international best practices and applicable legal requirements.
- Assists the business in launching new products and conducts legal and regulatory due diligence on such products, including identifying risks and mitigants in all applicable geographies.
- Stays abreast of new laws and regulations through continuous legal education, attending professional conferences, and participating in professional associations.
- Provides updates to the FAB Group's senior business persons on new legislation and regulatory developments that may have an impact on the FAB Group and advises on how to comply with such new legislation and regulations.
- Works closely and develops a positive professional relationship with the other members of the legal function and shares legal knowledge and best practices with legal colleagues, including providing formal and informal training sessions at the direction of the Group General Counsel and Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking.
Learning and Development
- Liaises with external law firms and relevant authorities (such as courts) to ensure the effective resolution of all legal matters affecting the FAB Group.
- Functions as a subject matter expert and provides input on learning and development initiatives including training content to ensure value addition and relevance.
People Management Responsibilities
- Ensures that all requisite reports are prepared in a timely and accurate manner, and meet the FAB Group's requirements, policies, and standards.
- Defines goals and key performance indicators for direct reports and ensures effective implementation of the FAB performance management process.
- Develops talent within the team by providing guidance and coaching to achieve defined goals.
- Assists the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking and the business with developing and rolling out new payments products and services and works with stakeholders on digitisation initiatives.
- Drafts, reviews and/or negotiates payment services related documentation (e.g. merchant acquirer agreements, payment services partnership agreements with third parties, PSP agreements).
- Assists the Head of Legal - Consumer and Private Banking in managing potential disputes and customer complaints in the UAE and abroad.
- Makes recommendations for improvements to policies and processes and streamlining the same to bring about efficiency and improve turn-around time.